I figured that was just me, but there is an scientific explanation for this, which I found last week. A study found that being positive, having positive emotions and thoughts, develops our brains, in that we increase our ability to generate ideas to make good things happen (amesclear.com/positive-thinking).
It is simple to get these good results by practicing mindfulness and loving kindness meditation (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0272735810000425, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3156028/).
The problem is that meditation sounds hard to a lot of people. The practice of mindfulness sounds equally demanding. They are actually enjoyable and easy (http://www.lifehack.org/305575/20-simple-things-you-can-daily-become-mindful-person).
Simple ways to practice mindfulness
Here is a list of mindfulness ideas.
1. Look at yourself in the mirror.
See how you look when you smile or when you frown, even when you are feeling angry. Actors do this. This is mindfulness about our response to and expression of feelings.
2. Eat differently. Put your devices aside and enjoy every bite.
3. Listen to soothing music.
Lay down or sit in the most comfortable position, close your eyes and feel the music in your soul.
4. Go for a walk.
5. Cook. This provides aroma-therapy and a calmness created by repetitive actions (chopping, stirring).
6. Observe the people around you. You get an idea of the wide variety of perspectives, and you can raise your awareness .
7. Let loose and laugh.
8. Turn off your devices.
10. Give a genuine compliment to someone at least once a day, and be specific.
11. Create art.
12. Help someone.
13. Take a long bath.
14. Write a journal. You clarify issues, discover ideas that come to you, and some research says this raises our potential to live longer lives.
15. Read a book.
How to do Loving Kindness Meditation
This kind of meditation is easy and you have done it before. Just begin to do it regularly.
1. Think of someone and then direct loving kindness to them. You do this sometimes when you think of family members and good friends. That is a perfect place to start. Think about one person. In your mind make a list of things you appreciate about them. Wish them good things.
2. Think about another person, and ditto.
3. PRACTICE THIS ON YOURSELF. Get up each morning and do Loving Kindness Meditation to yourself before you begin the day.
Mindfulness and loving kindness meditation have been found to help people with huge emotional illnesses. We may not have those issues, perhaps we have something else, like MS. We can also use these simple techniques to grow the ability to find more and better options. Life will present us with same challenges that we faced before, only we find we don’t get stuck as often. We see options.
We are growing our ability to make good things happen.